A walk through Stage Fort Park provided these glimpses of Ten Pound Island. And to think that it was "purchased for only ten pounds". Truly a bargain!
The following description of Ten Pound Island is from the National Park Service.
Ten Pound is a small island located at the eastern end of Gloucester Harbor with shoals between it and the mainland to the east. The island allegedly received its name from the amount of money the early settlers paid the local American Indian tribe for it or for the number of sheep pens (pounds) that it could hold. Ten Pound Island Light Station was established in 1821 to safely guide mariners into Gloucester's inner harbor.Click on the images to enlarge.
Simply Ten Pounds